COVID-19 Resources & Links
VRPA Statement March 19, 2020
VRPA is committed to helping our members and partners take necessary steps to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in the parks and public spaces they manage, and make well-informed decisions on adaptive and emergency operations.
VRPA urges its members to frequently refer to and follow the recommendations issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as guidance is continually updated as additional information becomes available. As of March 15, the CDC recommends that for the next eight weeks, organizers of large events and mass gatherings cancel or postpone in-person events that consist of 50 or more people throughout the United States. With many limits now to 10 or more.
Local park and recreation professionals fill a key role in community health and wellness opportunities every day. PRPS supports their leadership efforts and encourages its members and partners to work with their local health departments to review emergency response plans, practice routine environmental cleaning, and keeping their workplaces safe.
Below are helpful links for more information
from CDC, NACCHO and NRPA
This situation continues to evolve with updates to the CDC website offered daily. It is important to refer to these resources as information is developing in real time.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Resources
National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA)
Resources for the Field
· CDC Webinar: Answering 20 Questions about COVID-19, March 18, 2020 at 1 p.m. ET
· CDC Webinar: COVID-19 Update for CDC’s Private Sector Partners, March 19, 2020 at 3 p.m. ET
· Blog: FEMA Emergency Declaration: Public Assistance for COVID-19 Financial Impacts, NRPA, March 16, 2020
· Recommendation to track expenses incurred at the direction of local and state health officials
· Blog: Urban Park and Recreation Leaders Discuss Fast-Evolving Impacts of the Coronavirus Pandemic, NRPA, March 13, 2020
· Includes how agencies are addressing public use, operations, mitigation, vulnerable populations and employee issues.
· Blog: Coronavirus: What Impact Will COVID-19 Have on Parks and Recreation?, NRPA, March 4, 2020
· Podcast: How Park and Recreation Leaders are Addressing Coronavirus — Episode 61, NRPA March 10, 2020
· Statement: Statement on Coronavirus Disease 2019, NRPA, March 4, 2020
· FRAC Webinar: Serving Meals During COVID-19: Out-of-School Time Partners, March 19, 2020 at 2 p.m. ET
· Blog: COVID-19 Guidance for Park and Recreation Sites that Operate USDA Child Nutrition Programs, NRPA, March 12, 2020
· Useful information for those who serve meals during out-of-school time.
· Blog: COVID-19 in Parks and Recreation: Supporting Community Health and Wellbeing During an Outbreak, NRPA, March 12, 2020
· Tips to encourage health and wellness for community members during social distancing.
· Blog: COVID-19 and Older Adults: Assisting Our Most Vulnerable Population, NRPA, March 16, 2020
· Includes suggestions on how to help older adults during this time.
· Guidance on Events and Social Gatherings
· As of March 16, 2020, the White House released guidance to avoid social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people. The CDC is also directing to people to this guidance.
Park, Facility and Playground Resources
· Includes recommendations on athletic rooms
*At this time there are no specific recommendations for playgrounds and other outdoor equipment. NRPA is working with our contacts and partners to discern this guidance and will include it here once available.
· Guidance from CDC stating there is no evidence COVID-19 can be spread to humans through pools with proper operation, maintenance and disinfection.