In 2007, the Executive Committee of the Vermont Recreation and Parks Association proposed setting aside $1,000 of the proceeds from the Annual Silent Auction, for the purpose of awarding professional development scholarships to current VRPA members, to attend state, regional, and/or national training programs and conferences, when they might otherwise not be able to afford to attend. The membership approved the $1,000 appropriation in the 2007 budget and that amount or more has been available annually ever since.
1. Applicant must be a member in good standing of the Vermont Recreation and Parks Association.
2. Applicant must be able to show proof that they are presently employed, either full-time or part-time, in a paid capacity in the Parks, Recreation and/or Leisure Services field within the state of Vermont, and have been for at least 12 months.
3. Applicant must justify intent of using this award towards furthering their training and/or education, and indicate exactly how they would use the scholarship money. Acceptable expenses include registration fees, lodging, and transportation.
4. Applicant must submit with the application (download below), one letter of recommendation verifying the applicant's commitment and dedication to the park and recreation profession, leadership skills, and a detailed reason why this applicant is deserving of the scholarship. This letter, addressed to the scholarship committee and included with the application, should include the length and nature of the writer's association with the applicant, and the writer's address, phone number and email address.
5. Applicant must be willing to share some of what he/she learned by writing an article for the VRPA newsletter, speaking at a Quarterly Meeting, presenting at the Governor's Conference, or some other agreed upon means.
DEADLINE: The deadline for submitting applications for the current round of funding is December 1, 2012.
AMOUNT: Up to a maximum of $500 per person.
SUBMISSION INFORMATION: Submissions should be completed and returned to: Vermont Recreation & Parks Association, Professional Development Scholarship, 721 Main Street, Colchester, VT, 05446. If you have questions, contact the VRPA office at 802-877-2077.
PAYMENT INFORMATION: The recipient will be required to show proof of purchase directly related to the proposed training/educational program. VRPA will then reimburse the recipient within 30 days.